Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Tomorrow's the Big Day

Yes yes. Tomorrow the kids and I go back to school. It will definitely be a bittersweet moment.

A BIG day for all for sure.

My innocent Ashley will be starting 7th Grade this year. I have visions of her being eaten by sharks. Not sure what that's about.

And my baby Hannah will be starting Kindergarten this year. Sigh so much to say on this. This is the year they grow their independent wings. No more will she need me to teach her the little things I have always taken for granted. Now she will have someone else teaching and doing exciting "cool" things with her. Now she will realize there are people out there much smarter than her parents. Now she will be making her own friends that she picks and not just the children of my friends whom she is always around and so that's who her friends are. I know Nan is VERY outgoing and will not have problems in this area but it still makes me sad and worried.

Back to Ashley....... I remember my first days starting at Cerro Gordo. I started 7th grade there and I wasn't exactly the first day of the school year. I don't remember for sure when it was but I felt like such the odd ball. All the kids there had been classmates since Kindergarten. And here I was the "city girl" with my "city clothes" that they had never ever seen let alone wear or own. It was a struggle for the first couple weeks to find my "click". When I finally did, it was friendships that I still have to this day.

So for sure the friends you make in middle school are some of the important ones. My loving husband has assured me that Ash will be fine and it's not a big deal but I honestly feel like I have bigger knots in my stomach about tomorrow than she does. What if she gets lost, goes to the wrong class, falls on her face going down the stairs. And the worst part is I won't be able to give her a big hug, make her a special breakfast and send her off with a good luck girl. Sometimes I wonder why I am working? But I guess it wouldn't make sense to stay home to be there for the one important day. I will have to come up with a creative way to show her I love her and will be thinking about her. We will have to go have a special lunch after our half day to share the events.

I have to say a very good thing is that she is going to be in show choir as an elective class. Apparently at the school, this is a VERY VERY BIG thing. 75% of the middle school kids are in this is what I was told. It will be a very big commitment for Ash but with class every day and her first Saturday practice this Sat, it will give her a great opportunity to make friends quick and they will have something very important to school life in common.

Ok with all my rambling I will close. Thanks to all who read thru all this........

With that said wish all us Frederick girls good luck on our First Day and pictures will be posted with updates tomorrow.

2 comments:

Alexis Jacobs said...

It will be okay mommy... I promise :)

Unknown said...

You are so right about junior high being when you make your friends. Well, I met most of mine in kindergarten (you, included!) but still, it was in junior high that we started really hanging out and doing all the teenage stuff. So I see why you're anxious! I have never thought about it from a parents view because I am not there yet. Ashley will hold her own. I know she will. And I'm sure you'll be surprised how well she does and how well she LIKES it. ((hugs))